Capitol Records released their second and final Beatles EP on this day. 4 By The Beatles had the catalogue number Capitol R-5365, and was released only in mono.
Capitol had previously issued the similarly-titled EP Four By The Beatles on 11 May 1964. The “4 By” series was intended to showcase four songs by an artist which wouldn’t otherwise be issued as singles, although the demand for EPs in the United States proved limited and the idea was soon dropped.
Also on this day...
- 1970: Ringo and Maureen fly to New York from Los Angeles
- 1969: Allen Klein discusses The Beatles’ purchase of NEMS
- 1968: Ringo Starr rehearses for Cilla Black’s television show
- 1967: Recording: Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1963: Live: Assembly Rooms, Tamworth
- 1963: Live: Maney Hall, Sutton Coldfield
- 1962: Live: Thistle Cafe, West Kirby
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.