This was The Beatles’ final appearance at Southport’s Floral Hall.
It took place on the day it was announced that The Beatles had been invited to appear on the Royal Command Performance. With press coverage reaching fever pitch after the group’s appearance on Sunday Night At The London Palladium, reporters from London travelled up to Southport in the expectation of more riotous scenes.
The Floral Hall was built in the 1930s and became part of the Southport Theatre when the latter was added in 1973. It is still in use today.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at Bryce Jordan Center, Pennsylvania
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Philips Arena, Atlanta, Georgia
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at North Charleston Performing Arts Center, South Carolina
- 2013: US album release: New by Paul McCartney
- 1968: Mixing: Happiness Is A Warm Gun, I’m So Tired, Cry Baby Cry
- 1964: Live: Globe Cinema, Stockton-on-Tees
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Albany Cinema, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1960: Recording: Summertime
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.