The Beatles had undertaken mammoth radio sessions before, notably the 18 songs recorded on Tuesday 16 July. However, they went one better on this day, taping 19 songs for three episodes of Pop Go The Beatles.
The show was broadcast on the BBC Light Programme service. The Beatles arrived at the Aeolian Hall, London and began rehearsing and recording from 2pm.
Between then and 4.30pm they recorded A Taste Of Honey, Too Much Monkey Business, Till There Was You, Love Me Do, She Loves You, I’ll Get You and The Hippy Hippy Shake. Aside from A Taste Of Honey, which was held over for the next edition, they were broadcast on the 13th Pop Go The Beatles from 5pm on 10 September. The guests on the show, although recorded on a separate occasion, were Johnny Kidd and the Pirates.
The 14th edition was recorded between 5pm and 7.30pm. The Beatles performed Chains, You Really Got A Hold On Me, Misery, Lucille, From Me To You and Boys. Together with A Taste Of Honey from the earlier session, these were broadcast from 5pm on 17 September, with guests The Marauders.
From 8pm The Beatles completed programme 15. They recorded She Loves You, Ask Me Why, Devil In Her Heart, I Saw Her Standing There, Sure To Fall (In Love With You) and Twist And Shout. Tony Rivers and the Castaways were guests on this edition, which was broadcast on 24 September.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Ringo Starr live at Starlight Theater, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
- 2010: Yoko Ono visits John Lennon’s school and childhood home
- 1968: Ringo Starr rejoins The Beatles
- 1968: Recording: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- 1964: Live: State Fair Coliseum, Indianapolis
- 1962: Live: Queen’s Hall, Widnes
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.