This was the first of three Monday night performances at Queen's Hall in Widnes, Lancashire. It was the first time The Beatles had performed in the town.
The Monday shows were all promoted by Brian Epstein's company NEMS Enterprises. The Beatles headlined each one, but the support acts varied. On this occasion Rory Storm and the Hurricanes were also on the bill.
The Hurricanes had completed a residency at Butlin's holiday camp on 1 September. They were bitter that their drummer, Ringo Starr, had defected to The Beatles, but any animosity between the two groups didn't last.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Yoko Ono visits John Lennon’s school and childhood home
- 1968: Ringo Starr rejoins The Beatles
- 1968: Recording: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- 1964: Live: State Fair Coliseum, Indianapolis
- 1963: Radio: three episodes of Pop Go The Beatles
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.