Ono was greeted by dozens of children when she visited Dovedale junior and infant schools in Mossley Hill, Liverpool, where she was given a tour of its new £1m Sure Start children’s centre.
It was just so emotional when I saw them out there and had that great big welcome. I did not expect it.
This is John’s 70th birthday year and he is not here, but his spirit is still here. I am celebrating the opening of the Sure Start children’s centre and it is a nice way of celebrating John’s 70th.
She also surprised tourists at Mendips, Lennon’s former home on Menlove Avenue. She visited Mendips to speak to custodian Colin Hall and to meet Lennon’s cousin Michael Cadwallader, who oversaw the house’s restoration after she bought and donated it to the National Trust.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Ringo Starr live at Starlight Theater, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
- 1968: Ringo Starr rejoins The Beatles
- 1968: Recording: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- 1964: Live: State Fair Coliseum, Indianapolis
- 1963: Radio: three episodes of Pop Go The Beatles
- 1962: Live: Queen’s Hall, Widnes
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.