For the third day of filming for Don Haworth's BBC documentary The Mersey Sound, The Beatles were filmed in their home city Liverpool.
Two locations were used. The first was aboard a ferry crossing the Mersey from Liverpool Pier Head to Wallasey. They were filmed on board signing autographs and meeting fans.
Following this they were taken to Speke Airport – later renamed Liverpool John Lennon Airport – where they pretended they were arriving back in England by descending the steps of an aeroplane.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney announces New song and album
- 2008: Sam Taylor-Wood to direct Lennon biopic Nowhere Boy
- 1968: Recording: Dear Prudence
- 1966: Live: Candlestick Park, San Francisco: The Beatles’ final concert
- 1965: Live: Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles
- 1964: Live: Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, New York
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Southport
- 1962: Live: Floral Hall Ballroom, Morecambe
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.