Artist and film-maker Sam Taylor-Wood is to direct Nowhere Boy, a film about the life of John Lennon.
I knew as I closed the final page that this was the film I had been looking to direct. The story spoke to me on so many levels – both personal and artistic.
The women in John’s early life truly shaped who he became, and the strengths and weaknesses of their relationships are central to this film.
Nowhere Boy will be shot on location in Liverpool, and will be based on the book Imagine This: Growing Up with My Brother John Lennon, written by Lennon’s half sister Julia Baird.
The film will examine the influence of Lennon’s aunt Mimi Smith and his mother Julia upon his early life.
Last updated: 5 December 2008
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney announces New song and album
- 1968: Recording: Dear Prudence
- 1966: Live: Candlestick Park, San Francisco: The Beatles’ final concert
- 1965: Live: Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles
- 1964: Live: Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, New York
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Southport
- 1963: Television: The Mersey Sound
- 1962: Live: Floral Hall Ballroom, Morecambe
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.