This was the only occasion when The Beatles performed at Birmingham’s Town Hall. It was the 17th date of the group’s 1963 tour of the United Kingdom with American singer Roy Orbison.
However, George Harrison did return to the venue on 3 December 1969, when he performed two shows with Delaney and Bonnie.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee concert, London
- 2012: The Beatles named as UK’s biggest-selling singles act in Queen’s reign
- 1969: US single release: The Ballad Of John And Yoko
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Revolution 1
- 1967: McCartney and Harrison watch Jimi Hendrix in London
- 1965: UK EP release: Beatles For Sale No 2
- 1964: The Beatles’ world tour begins in Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1964: Recording, mixing, editing: Long Tall Sally, Matchbox, I Call Your Name, Slow Down, When I Get Home, Any Time At All, I’ll Cry Instead
- 1962: Rehearsal: Cavern Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.