The 16th date of The Beatles’ UK tour with Roy Orbison was a return to London, with a concert at the Granada Cinema in Woolwich.
This was the group’s only performance at the venue, which later became a bingo hall.
The Beatles’ repertoire throughout the Roy Orbison tour contained seven songs: ‘Some Other Guy’, ‘Do You Want To Know A Secret’, ‘Love Me Do’, ‘From Me To You’, ‘Please Please Me’, ‘I Saw Her Standing There’ and ‘Twist And Shout’.
Last updated: 4 March 2010
Also on this day...
- 2022: Ringo Starr live: Hanover Theater, Worcester, Massachusetts
- 2018: New book to explore the creation of John Lennon’s Imagine album
- 1966: Recording, mixing: I Want To Tell You, Yellow Submarine
- 1965: John, George, Cynthia and Pattie attend Allen Ginsberg’s 39th birthday party
- 1964: Recording: You Know What To Do, You’re My World, No Reply, Any Time At All, Things We Said Today
- 1964: Ringo Starr is taken ill before The Beatles’ world tour
- 1962: Rehearsal: Cavern Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
And now the former bingo hall is a church
My grandfather had a sweet shop amost next door to the Granada Woolwich. He knew the doorman who used to sneak me in to some of the concerts there. But he couldn’t get me into this one. That was the closest I ever got to seeing the Beatles live.