Martin then overdubbed a piano part onto The Beatles’ cover version of Larry Williams’ ‘Slow Down’, and made a mono mix of the song.
More mono mixes followed, of ‘When I Get Home’, ‘Any Time At All’, and ‘I’ll Cry Instead’. The latter song had been recorded in two parts on 1 June 1964, and were edited together once the mixes were complete.
Also on this day...
- 2022: Paul McCartney live: JMA Wireless Dome, Syracuse, New York
- 2022: Ringo Starr live: Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion, Gilford, New Hampshire
- 2012: Paul McCartney live: the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee concert, London
- 2012: The Beatles named as UK’s biggest-selling singles act in Queen’s reign
- 2007: UK album release: Memory Almost Full by Paul McCartney
- 1991: US album release: Unplugged (The Official Bootleg) by Paul McCartney
- 1969: US single release: The Ballad Of John And Yoko
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Revolution 1
- 1967: McCartney and Harrison watch Jimi Hendrix in London
- 1965: UK EP release: Beatles For Sale No 2
- 1964: The Beatles’ world tour begins in Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1963: Live: Town Hall, Birmingham
- 1962: Rehearsal: Cavern Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.