Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Norman Smith
While The Beatles were on tour in Denmark, George Martin oversaw a mixing, editing and overdub session at EMI Studios, for songs for the A Hard Day’s Night LP and the Long Tall Sally EP.
The session took place from 2.30-7pm. It began with mono mixes of ‘Long Tall Sally’, ‘Matchbox’, and ‘I Call Your Name’. Two mixes of ‘I Call Your Name’ were made, which were then edited together.
Martin then overdubbed a piano part onto The Beatles’ cover version of Larry Williams’ ‘Slow Down’, and made a mono mix of the song.
More mono mixes followed, of ‘When I Get Home’, ‘Any Time At All’, and ‘I’ll Cry Instead’. The latter song had been recorded in two parts on 1 June 1964, and were edited together once the mixes were complete.
Also on this day...
- 2022: Paul McCartney live: JMA Wireless Dome, Syracuse, New York
- 2022: Ringo Starr live: Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion, Gilford, New Hampshire
- 2012: Paul McCartney live: the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee concert, London
- 2012: The Beatles named as UK’s biggest-selling singles act in Queen’s reign
- 2007: UK album release: Memory Almost Full by Paul McCartney
- 1991: US album release: Unplugged (The Official Bootleg) by Paul McCartney
- 1969: US single release: The Ballad Of John And Yoko
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Revolution 1
- 1967: McCartney and Harrison watch Jimi Hendrix in London
- 1965: UK EP release: Beatles For Sale No 2
- 1964: The Beatles’ world tour begins in Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1963: Live: Town Hall, Birmingham
- 1962: Rehearsal: Cavern Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.