The Beatles' tour with Helen Shapiro received some newspaper publicity following an incident on this night in which the group, Kenny Lynch and Shapiro were barred from the Carlisle Golf Club dance at the Crown and Mitre hotel.
Although the press merely mentioned "a member of the supporting groups", the reason for the trouble was that Ringo Starr was trying to enter the golf club while wearing a leather jacket. The incident took place after the concert at the ABC Cinema on Carlisle's Warwick Road.
Also on this day...
- 2011: The Beatles’ Love and John Lennon’s final interview go onsale at iTunes
- 2010: Ringo’s star unveiled on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
- 1968: Recording, mixing: The Inner Light, Across The Universe
- 1967: Recording: Good Morning Good Morning
- 1966: George and Pattie Harrison honeymoon in Barbados
- 1964: Rehearsal for The Ed Sullivan Show
- 1964: Radio: Saturday Club
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.