The Beatles’ UK tour with Helen Shapiro continued into Wakefield, Yorkshire, with a performance at the city’s ABC Cinema.
The cinema opened as the Regal in December 1935. It seated 1,594 people, with a stage 26 feet deep. In 1962 it was renamed the ABC, and eventually became known as the Cannon Cinema.
The building closed in 1997 after a nearby multiplex opened.
Last updated: 3 February 2010
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney to headline Queen’s diamond jubilee concert
- 2012: US album release: Kisses On The Bottom by Paul McCartney
- 1970: John Lennon and Yoko Ono appear on The Simon Dee Show
- 1970: George Harrison produces Govinda by Radha Krshna Temple
- 1967: Filming: Penny Lane
- 1965: John and Cynthia Lennon return to England from Switzerland
- 1964: The Beatles’ American invasion begins
- 1964: UK EP release: All My Loving
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Merseyside Civil Service Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
I am looking for one of the ABC Wakefield protectionist Allan Speight , if you can help me PLEASE CONTACT ME