The third date of The Beatles’ first nationwide tour, which was headlined by Helen Shapiro.
The cinema’s grand interior was decorated by Theodore Komisarjevsky in the Italian Renaissance style. It had a small stage just 17 feet deep but was nonetheless a popular venue for music concerts.
Formerly situated at 5-9 St Peters Street in Bedford, the Granada closed in 1990 and was demolished soon after.
Also on this day...
- 2012: UK album release: Kisses On The Bottom by Paul McCartney
- 1970: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed for the BBC’s Scene And Heard
- 1968: Ringo Starr appears on Cilla Black’s television show
- 1968: Recording, mixing: The Inner Light, Lady Madonna
- 1964: Interview: John Lennon and George Harrison
- 1961: Live: Lathom Hall, Liverpool
- 1958: George Harrison meets the Quarrymen
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.