This was the second of two performances by The Beatles at the Rialto Ballroom, which stood on Upper Parliament Street in Toxteth, Liverpool.
The event was billed as a “Rock ‘n’ Twist Carnival’, and was organised by Liverpool University. The Rialto Ballroom, a venue owned by the Top Rank organisation, had played host to a handful of Quarrymen performances in the late 1950s.
The Beatles’ first performance at the Rialto Ballroom had taken place on 6 September 1962. In later years the venue was used as a bingo hall and furniture store, but was burnt down during the 1981 riots in Toxteth.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Verizon Theater, Grand Prairie, Texas
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Smoothie King Center, New Orleans
- 1971: US single release: Imagine by John Lennon
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Savoy Truffle, Piggies, Don’t Pass Me By, Good Night
- 1964: Live: Odeon Cinema, Birmingham
- 1963: Live: Trentham Gardens, Trentham
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.