This was The Beatles’ 43rd of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at FedExForum, Memphis, Tennessee
- 1980: US album release: McCartney II by Paul McCartney
- 1969: John and Yoko’s second bed-in for peace: Montreal
- 1969: US album release: Unfinished Music No.2: Life With The Lions by John Lennon and Yoko Ono
- 1969: US album release: Electronic Sound by George Harrison
- 1966: Recording: Yellow Submarine
- 1965: The Beatles (Invite You To Take A Ticket To Ride) – the final BBC radio session
- 1964: John and Cynthia Lennon, George Harrison and Pattie Boyd fly to London from Tahiti
- 1963: Live: Empire Theatre, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Town Hall, Forres, Scotland
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.