This was The Beatles’ 25th of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at Estadio Azteca, Mexico City, Mexico
- 2009: Unpublished George Harrison lyrics go on show at British Library
- 2009: Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan to collaborate?
- 2009: George Harrison best-of tracklisting announced
- 1970: UK album release: Let It Be
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed for the BBC’s Scene And Heard
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.