Following their concert the previous night at the Convention Hall in Atlantic City, The Beatles relaxed at the Marquis de Lafayette Hotel, Cape May, New Jersey.
Paul McCartney used the time off to call Elvis Presley on the telephone. Despite their love of the US singer, The Beatles didn't meet Presley until August 1965.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Lennon, Harrison and Starr watch Bob Dylan perform at the Isle of Wight Festival
- 1967: The Beatles issue a statement on NEMS Enterprises
- 1965: Live: Cow Palace, San Francisco
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Southport
- 1962: Live: Town Hall, Lydney
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.