This was the first time Lennon and Ono had been interviewed by Wigg, who had previously spoken to George Harrison and Ringo Starr on the radio. The discussion took place at the Apple Corps headquarters at 3 Savile Row, London.
Although the album Unfinished Music No 2: Life With The Lions was to be issued in the UK the following day, it was not mentioned in the interview. Instead, talk was dominated by the Lennons’ peace campaigns.
The interview also covered The Beatles’ use of drugs, anti-Beatles backlashes in the UK press, corporal punishment in schools, Lennon’s belief in life after death, and his love for Ono.
The interview was broadcast over two editions of Scene And Heard, on 11 and 18 May 1969 from 3-4pm.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at Estadio Azteca, Mexico City, Mexico
- 2009: Unpublished George Harrison lyrics go on show at British Library
- 2009: Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan to collaborate?
- 2009: George Harrison best-of tracklisting announced
- 1970: UK album release: Let It Be
- 1969: John Lennon signs contract appointing Allen Klein business manager of The Beatles
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.