This was The Beatles' seventh performance at the Kingsway Club, situated on the Promenade in Southport, Lancashire. The event was unadvertised, as was the group's engagement at the venue on the previous Monday.
Built in 1931, the Kingsway was a popular venue for live acts from the 1960s through to the 1990s, but closed in 2004. It reopened briefly in 2006 but closed for good the following year. On 6 September 2010 the derelict building was destroyed by fire, and two days later the remains of the building were demolished.
Also on this day...
- 1965: Filming: Help!, Austria
- 1964: The Beatles’ first Top Of The Pops appearance
- 1964: The Beatles are given Variety Club awards
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Regal Cinema, Cambridge
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.