The penultimate day of filming in Austria for The Beatles’ second feature film, Help!, took place around the ski slopes of Obertauern.
Scenes were filmed in the snow and on a terrace in the town. During their stay in Obertauern The Beatles were based at the Hotel Edelweiss.
From 8pm The Beatles gave an interview to Brian Matthew of the BBC radio show Saturday Club, which took place over the phone from their hotel suite. It was broadcast on the BBC Light Programme service the following day from 11am. The interview had been granted by manager Brian Epstein after BBC executives complained that they had been given no interviews or sessions for three months.
That evening The Beatles hosted a wrap party for the film’s cast and crew.
Also on this day...
- 1964: The Beatles’ first Top Of The Pops appearance
- 1964: The Beatles are given Variety Club awards
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Regal Cinema, Cambridge
- 1962: Live: Kingsway Club, Southport
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.