This was The Beatles’ fifth performance at the Kingsway Club, situated on the Promenade in Southport, Lancashire.
The Beatles played at the Kingsway Club on eight occasions, all in 1962. The other dates were: 22 and 29 January; 5 and 26 February; 12 and 19 March; and 23 July.
Built in 1931, the Kingsway was a popular venue for live acts from the 1960s through to the 1990s, but closed in 2004. It reopened briefly in 2006 but closed for good the following year. On 6 September 2010 the derelict building was destroyed by fire, and two days later the remains of the building were demolished.
Last updated: 2 October 2012
Also on this day...
- 2009: Release date for The Beatles: Rock Band announced
- 2009: Paul McCartney to headline meditation benefit concert
- 1999: Recording: Brown Eyed Handsome Man, No Other Baby, She Said Yeah, Blue Jean Bop by Paul McCartney
- 1996: US single release: Real Love
- 1970: Recording: Whispering Grass, Bye Bye Blackbird by Ringo Starr
- 1965: Filming: Help!, the Bahamas
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Recording: From Me To You, Thank You Girl, One After 909
- 1963: Photo session in London
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.