This was The Beatles’ fifth performance at the Kingsway Club, situated on the Promenade in Southport, Lancashire.
Built in 1931, the Kingsway was a popular venue for live acts from the 1960s through to the 1990s, but closed in 2004. It reopened briefly in 2006 but closed for good the following year. On 6 September 2010 the derelict building was destroyed by fire, and two days later the remains of the building were demolished.
Also on this day...
- 2009: Release date for The Beatles: Rock Band announced
- 2009: Paul McCartney to headline meditation benefit concert
- 1970: Recording: Whispering Grass, Bye Bye Blackbird by Ringo Starr
- 1965: Filming: Help!, the Bahamas
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Recording: From Me To You, Thank You Girl, One After 909
- 1963: Photo session in London
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.