The Beatles’ 60th lunchtime performance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club took place on this day.
The group’s lunchtime shows in the Cavern typically lasted from 12-2pm. Overall this was their 89th appearance at the soon-to-be-famous cellar club on Mathew Street, including their numerous late-night shows.
Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows at the Mathew Street venue between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2011: Paul McCartney live at Lanxess Arena, Köln, Germany
- 1972: UK single release: Hi, Hi, Hi by Wings
- 1971: US single release: Happy Xmas (War Is Over) by John Lennon
- 1969: Ringo Starr is interviewed for the BBC’s Line-Up
- 1969: The final Beatles Book monthly magazine is published
- 1964: Ringo Starr goes into hospital
- 1963: Live: De Montfort Hall, Leicester
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: Memorial Hall, Northwich
- 1961: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.