Ringo Starr began his 10-day stay at University College Hospital, London on 1 December 1964. He was booked in to have his tonsils removed, an operation which took place the following day.
Prior to his arrival on the ward, Starr gave a brief press conference to assembled reporters.
Last updated: 8 February 2023
Also on this day...
- 2011: Paul McCartney live: Lanxess Arena, Köln, Germany
- 1972: UK single release: Hi, Hi, Hi by Wings
- 1971: US single release: Happy Xmas (War Is Over) by John Lennon
- 1969: Ringo Starr is interviewed for the BBC’s Line-Up
- 1969: The final Beatles Book monthly magazine is published
- 1963: Live: De Montfort Hall, Leicester
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: Memorial Hall, Northwich
- 1961: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.