The Beatles performed twice at Holyoake Hall in Wavertree, Liverpool. Their second show there took place one week later, on 22 July 1961.
The Quarrymen also played at Holyoake Hall several times in 1958. The benue is situated opposite the tram sheds on Smithdown Road and is about 200 yards from Penny Lane. It is the closest The Beatles ever played to the famous landmark.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Red Robinson Show Theatre, Coquitlam, British Columbia
- 2011: Paul McCartney live at Yankee Stadium, New York
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Pepsi Center, Denver
- 2009: Paul McCartney plays outdoor show on the Ed Sullivan Theater
- 1969: Recording, mixing: You Never Give Me Your Money
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Revolution, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Cry Baby Cry
- 1968: The Beatles move into the Apple headquarters at 3 Savile Row, London
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1958: Julia Lennon dies
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.