She was the youngest of three children born to Dr Richard Alan John Asher and Margaret Asher. Her father worked as a writer, broadcaster and consultant in blood and mental diseases at Central Middlesex Hospital, and her mother was a professor of oboe at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
Asher became a child actress and later had a distinguished career on stage and screen.
Also on this day...
- 1970: Ringo Starr is interviewed for the BBC’s Scene And Heard
- 1967: Paul McCartney visits Jane Asher in Denver
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: The Beatles receive their first silver disc
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.