The man who became The Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, was born on this day.
Epstein was born at 4 Rodney Street, Liverpool, England. He was the first of two sons born to Harry and Malka (known to all as Queenie) Epstein. Rodney Street was an affluent area of the city known at the time for its concentration of doctors.
The Epstein family were descended from Lithuanian Jews who arrived in England in the 1890s, and ran a furniture and goods store later known as NEMS - North End Music Stores.
Also on this day...
- 2010: English Heritage plaque to be unveiled at Lennon’s former London home
- 1969: Paul McCartney is interviewed for the BBC’s Scene And Heard
- 1969: The Beatles lose control of Northern Songs
- 1968: Recording: Piggies
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: George and Pattie Harrison hold a press conference in India
- 1966: John Lennon films How I Won The War in Spain
- 1964: Day off in Alton, Missouri
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.