On 14 September 1966, George and Pattie Harrison had arrived in Bombay (Mumbai) in India. The purpose of their visit was for George to take sitar lessons with Ravi Shankar, and for the couple to study yoga.
The Harrisons stayed at the Taj Mahal hotel in Bombay, under the names Mr and Mrs Sam Wells. The press eventually discovered they were staying there, and in an attempt to retain some privacy it was decided that a press conference should be held.
The conference took place at the hotel. During it Harrison explained that he was in India to study, and requested that he be afforded some privacy.
Also on this day...
- 2010: English Heritage plaque to be unveiled at Lennon’s former London home
- 1969: Paul McCartney is interviewed for the BBC’s Scene And Heard
- 1969: The Beatles lose control of Northern Songs
- 1968: Recording: Piggies
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: John Lennon films How I Won The War in Spain
- 1964: Day off in Alton, Missouri
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1934: Brian Epstein is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.