The Beatles’ 38th lunchtime performance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club took place on this day.
The group’s lunchtime shows typically lasted from 12-2pm. This was their 53rd known appearance overall at the soon-to-be-famous cellar venue on Mathew Street.
Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows. Their final performance at the venue took place on 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2010: English Heritage plaque to be unveiled at Lennon’s former London home
- 1969: Paul McCartney is interviewed for the BBC’s Scene And Heard
- 1969: The Beatles lose control of Northern Songs
- 1968: Recording: Piggies
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: George and Pattie Harrison hold a press conference in India
- 1966: John Lennon films How I Won The War in Spain
- 1964: Day off in Alton, Missouri
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1934: Brian Epstein is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.