Harrison was in India to study yoga and the sitar. He was interviewed by the BBC’s radio correspondent in the country, Donald Milner. The pair discussed Harrison’s spiritual beliefs and Eastern philosophy for around 10 minutes.
More than seven minutes from the interview were broadcast on the BBC Home Service in the UK on Sunday 11 December 1966, from 4-4.30pm, on The Lively Arts. An extract lasting 2’25” was also broadcast on Pick Of The Week on 16 December from 12.10pm.
Also on this day...
- 2015: The Beatles’ first contract sells for $75,000
- 1969: John Lennon reveals he is leaving The Beatles
- 1968: Recording: Piggies, Glass Onion
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1964: Live: Paramount Theatre, New York City
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.