This was the second day of filming for Magical Mystery Tour at West Malling Air Station in Maidstone, Kent.
The Beatles worked at the army base for six days, staying at a nearby hotel each night. A number of interior shots were filmed in the enormous hanger space, including the magicians’ laboratory sequence, Aunt Jessie’s dream, and a sequence for George Harrison’s ‘Blue Jay Way’.
Also on this day...
- 2015: The Beatles’ first contract sells for $75,000
- 1977: UK album release: Ringo The 4th by Ringo Starr
- 1969: John Lennon reveals he is leaving The Beatles
- 1968: Recording: Piggies, Glass Onion
- 1966: BBC interview with George Harrison
- 1964: Live: Paramount Theatre, New York City
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.