The Beatles decamped to West Malling Air Station in Maidstone, Kent for most of this week, where much of the Magical Mystery Tour television special was filmed.
The group had been unable to hire Shepperton, Twickenham or any other London film studios at short notice, so NEMS Enterprises hired the army base for the week. Interior and exterior shots were filmed here throughout the week.
Also on this day, Steve Winwood’s group Traffic was approached by Paul McCartney, to see if they would perform their song Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush in the film. Although the scene was filmed, it was unused in the final edit of Magical Mystery Tour.
Also on this day...
- 2010: English Heritage plaque to be unveiled at Lennon’s former London home
- 1969: Paul McCartney is interviewed for the BBC’s Scene And Heard
- 1969: The Beatles lose control of Northern Songs
- 1968: Recording: Piggies
- 1966: George and Pattie Harrison hold a press conference in India
- 1966: John Lennon films How I Won The War in Spain
- 1964: Day off in Alton, Missouri
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1934: Brian Epstein is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.