The charity War Child is partnering with River Island to produce a Come Together t-shirt in a design worn by John Lennon in 1971.
The Come Together logo was designed in 1969 by Arnie Goodman and Rob Rose, who originally sold t-shirts bearing the peace symbol in the hippy communities of Los Angeles and San Francisco. One of the t-shirts was donated to Lennon, who was photographed wearing it alongside Yoko Ono.
The rights were later bought by Worn Free and donated under licence to War Child. The charity was founded in 1993 and provides help to children in conflict areas.
We hope people will wear these stylish t-shirts with pride, not just for the connection to a true musical legend, but as a message of peace and support to change the lives of innocent children caught in war.
Director of music, marketing and communications, War Child
The t-shirts will be available worldwide at the end of May, with all profits going to War Child. There will be a choice of two colours, and men’s, women’s and children’s sizes.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: BOK Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 2009: Paul McCartney to play at New York Mets stadium in July
- 2009: Beatlemania museum opens in Hamburg
- 1972: US single release: Mary Had A Little Lamb by Wings
- 1964: UK single release: Ain’t She Sweet
- 1963: Live: Rialto Theatre, York
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.