Sir Paul McCartneySir Paul McCartney is to be the first artist to perform at Citi Field, the New York Mets' stadium in Flushing, NY, according to unconfirmed industry reports.
The concerts are said to be taking place on 17 and 18 July 2009, with a possible third date on 21 July. The promoters are AEG Live.
The concerts will occur during the Mets' extended All-Star break: their last game is on July 12 and their next scheduled game is on July 27.
The Beatles famously performed at Shea Stadium, the former home of the Mets, in 1965 and 1966. McCartney also made a surprise appearance at Billy Joel's 'Last Play At Shea' concert last year, which marked the end of the venue.
Shea Stadium was replaced by Citi Field as the Mets' ballpark earlier in 2009.
McCartney's only upcoming confirmed concert is on 15 July at the Halifax Commons in Halifax, NS.
Also on this day...
- 2014: War Child and River Island come together to reissue Lennon t-shirt
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at BOK Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 2009: Beatlemania museum opens in Hamburg
- 1963: Live: Rialto Theatre, York
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.