Sir Paul McCartney was among the guests at a screening of the newly-restored 1967 Beatles film Magical Mystery Tour.
The first screening took place at the British Film Institute (BFI) in London. The former Beatle sat next to George Martin’s son Giles, who worked on the audio clean-up on the film.
First screening of magical mystery tour, I sat next to Paul. It sounded fantastic- well I didn't get prodded so I think we got away with it!
— Giles Martin (@mashupmartin) October 3, 2012
Also present at the screening were Paul Weller, Liam Gallagher and Monty Python’s Terry Jones. Pictured are McCartney with Liam Gallagher and his son Gene.
Magical Mystery Tour is reissued on DVD and Blu-ray in October 2012, as well as a limited number of cinema screenings. It will include bonus material including new interviews with McCartney and Ringo Starr, a making-of documentary and deleted scenes.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Geoff Emerick dies
- 2015: Ringo Starr live: Vina Robles Amphitheatre, Paso Robles, California
- 2015: Beatles live Cavern Club recording found in desk drawer after 50 years
- 2014: Paul McCartney live: United Spirit Arena, Lubbock, Texas
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: Hard Rock Cafe & Casino, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 2011: McCartney, Starr, Ono and Olivia Harrison attend the world première of Scorsese documentary Living In The Material World
- 1969: Mixing: Across The Universe
- 1968: Recording: Honey Pie
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Your Mother Should Know, Hello, Goodbye
- 1964: Rehearsal: Shindig!
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.