Trident Studios, St Anne's Court, London
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Barry Sheffield
John played a brilliant solo on Honey Pie – sounded like Django Reinhardt or something. It was one of them where you just close your eyes and happen to hit all the right notes... sounded like a little jazz solo.
The session took place at Trident Studios in London's Soho, from 4pm-3.30am. Honey Pie was completed on 4 October 1968 with the addition of saxophone and clarinet.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Geoff Emerick dies
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Vina Robles Amphitheatre, Paso Robles, California
- 2015: Beatles live Cavern Club recording found in desk drawer after 50 years
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at United Spirit Arena, Lubbock, Texas
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Hard Rock Cafe & Casino, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 2012: Paul McCartney attends Magical Mystery Tour screening
- 2011: McCartney, Starr, Ono and Olivia Harrison attend the world première of Scorsese documentary Living In The Material World
- 1969: Mixing: Across The Universe
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Your Mother Should Know, Hello, Goodbye
- 1964: Rehearsal: Shindig!
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.