Yoko Ono travelled to Iceland for the annual lighting of the Imagine Peace Tower on 9 October 2009, which would have been John Lennon’s 69th birthday.
At 10.30pm that evening, Reykjavik time, she also unveiled a new Imagine Peace Tower in the online virtual world Second Life.
I am very pleased to be unveiling the IMAGINE PEACE TOWER in Second Life tonight.
I hope we will all come to visit it when it lights up every sunset time, as it spreads our wishes of PEACE throughout Second Life.
Remember, each one of us has the power to change the world.
Power works in mysterious ways.
You don’t have to do much.
Visualise the domino effect
And just start thinking PEACE.
The message will circulate faster than you think.
It’s Time For Action.
The Action is PEACE.
Spread the word.
I love you!
9 October 2009
The tower was unveiled in Second Life along with these words from Yoko:
All spirits of goodness of this magical land, of the planet, and of the universe,
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for witnessing our humble gathering
For the unveiling of IMAGINE PEACE TOWER.
They say, if all the people in China were to jump up and down at the same time,
The axis of the globe would shift.
Well, we are here together. Billions of us.
Standing at the dawn of a new age determined to shift the axis of the world to health,
Peace and joy by loving and caring for all lives on Earth.
Some of us are here physically, some are joining us in spirit.
Some of us are imprisoned, tortured, maimed and silenced, but they are also here today with us.
Some of us have passed away before being able to enjoy a new age of love and peace.
But we are all here today standing together with hope.
The light is the light of wisdom, healing and empowerment.
Even in the moments of confusion, fear and the darkness of your souls,
Hold the light in your hearts,
And you will know that you are not alone,
That we are all together in seeing the light of peace.
I thank the people of Second Life, for giving so much love to this tower from its inception.
IMAGINE PEACE TOWER was visualized with love, and realized by love.
It is a gift from John and Yoko and the people of Second Life to the world.
I know that John is with us, too, in this land of Nutopia,
happy that the light tower is finally a reality after 40 years.
Let’s make a wish as the light goes on.
Let’s send light to each other and say I love you!
i ii iii
John, we love you!
After the opening ceremony, the Second Life tower will begin its cycle of illumination approximately 15 minutes after sunset on every Second Life day and will remain illuminated until dawn. The days are much shorter in Second Life than in the real world. Sunset happens in Second Life every day at the following times, both am and pm:
- 01.30, 05.30, 09.30: Chicago, Baghdad, Bangkok, Vladivostok
- 02.30, 06.30, 10.30: Anchorage, Montreal, Toronto, New York, Reykjavik, Moscow, Shanghai, Suva
- 03.30, 07.30, 11.30: Los Angeles, Rio de Janiero, Liverpool, London, Karachi, Tokyo, Auckland
- 04.30, 08.30, 12.30: Guatemala, Europe, Dhaka, Sydney, Kiritimati
Also on this day...
- 2017: New book! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Queen Elizabeth Theatre, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Frank Sinatra School of the Arts, New York
- 2011: Sir Paul McCartney marries Nancy Shevell
- 2010: Photograph of John Lennon is projected onto Liverpool’s Albert Dock
- 2010: “And the world will be as one”: Global tributes take place for John Lennon’s 70th birthday
- 2010: Yoko Ono requests a million tweets for John Lennon
- 2000: Tributes for John Lennon’s 60th birthday
- 1998: Yoko Ono dedicates a tree to John Lennon in Strawberry Fields
- 1990: Imagine is broadcast around the world
- 1988: John Lennon tributes are broadcast on US television
- 1985: Strawberry Fields is opened in Central Park, New York City
- 1984: Yoko Ono donates $90,000 to Strawberry Field in Liverpool
- 1981: John Lennon statue is unveiled in Los Angeles
- 1980: John Lennon’s 40th birthday
- 1979: John Lennon’s 39th birthday party, Tavern On The Green, New York
- 1978: John Lennon’s 38th birthday party, Tavern On The Green, New York
- 1976: John Lennon’s 36th birthday
- 1975: Sean Lennon is born
- 1971: John Lennon’s all-star 31st birthday party in Syracuse, New York
- 1971: Yoko Ono’s art exhibition This Is Not Here opens in Syracuse, New York
- 1970: Recording: Remember by John Lennon
- 1970: John Lennon sees his father Alf for the final time
- 1969: Yoko Ono is taken to hospital in London
- 1968: Recording, mixing: The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill, Long Long Long, Why Don’t We Do It In The Road
- 1967: John Lennon’s 27th birthday
- 1966: John Lennon celebrates his 26th birthday in Spain
- 1965: The Beatles celebrate John Lennon’s 25th birthday
- 1964: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Bradford
- 1963: Radio: The Ken Dodd Show
- 1962: The Beatles promote Love Me Do in London
- 1961: John Lennon celebrates his 21st birthday with Paul McCartney in Paris
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1956: John Lennon’s 16th birthday
- 1940: John Lennon is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.