Wings’ seventh album, London Town, was released in the United Kingdom on 31 March 1978.
The single ‘With A Little Luck’, with ‘Backwards Traveller’/‘Cuff Link’ on the b-side, was released ahead of London Town in March 1978. It topped the US Billboard Hot 100, and peaked at number five in the UK.
London Town followed a week later. In the US it reached number two on the Billboard 200, on which it spent a total of 28 weeks. In the UK its highest position was number four, and it spent 23 weeks on the album chart.
A second single, ‘London Town’/‘I’m Carrying’, was issued in August 1978. It fared badly in the charts, peaking at number 39 in the US and number 60 in the UK.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Album release: Postcards From Paradise by Ringo Starr
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: the Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles
- 1970: Paul McCartney reacts angrily to a letter from John Lennon and George Harrison, delivered by Ringo Starr
- 1970: Radio: Ringo Starr on Open House
- 1969: George and Pattie Harrison are fined for drugs possession
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s lightning trip to Vienna
- 1967: Recording, mixing: With A Little Help From My Friends, Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Radio: Saturday Club
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: De Montfort Hall, Leicester
- 1962: Live: Subscription Rooms, Stroud
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.