It took place at Esher and Walton Magistrates’ Court. The Harrisons pleaded guilty to possessing the cannabis, which was likely to have been planted in the house by police officers.
George wore a navy blue suit and Pattie wore a crimson velvet jacket. The couple were each fined £250 plus 10 guineas each in court costs, and were put on probation for a year.
Esher and Walton Magistrates Court closed in 1993 and is now a youth club and theatre school.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at the Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles
- 1970: Paul McCartney reacts angrily to a letter from John Lennon and George Harrison, delivered by Ringo Starr
- 1970: Radio: Ringo Starr on Open House
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s lightning trip to Vienna
- 1967: Recording, mixing: With A Little Help From My Friends, Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Radio: Saturday Club
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: De Montfort Hall, Leicester
- 1962: Live: Subscription Rooms, Stroud
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.