There were two separate recording sessions on this day. The first was held in Studio Two from 2.30-9pm, and saw work continue on The End and I Want You (She's So Heavy). The End was the first, and was given more drums and bass guitar.
I Want You (She's So Heavy) was at the time known simply as I Want You. Although a reduction mix had been made on 18 April 1969, The Beatles ignored it for now and went back to the 23 February master tape made at Trident Studios.
Also on this day...
- 2019: The Beatles announce Abbey Road 50th anniversary reissue
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Air Canada Centre, Toronto
- 2009: Beatles fans mark 40 years of Abbey Road photoshoot
- 1969: The Abbey Road cover photography session
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Hey Jude, Not Guilty
- 1966: The South African Broadcasting Corporation bans The Beatles’ music
- 1966: US album release: Revolver
- 1966: US single release: Eleanor Rigby/Yellow Submarine
- 1963: Live: Candie Gardens, Guernsey
- 1962: Live: Co-op Ballroom, Doncaster
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.