This was The Beatles' 23rd lunchtime performance at Liverpool's Cavern Club, the cellar venue on Mathew Street which would soon become world famous.
The Beatles' lunchtime shows typically lasted from 12-2pm. Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows.
This was their 30th appearance overall at the Cavern. Their final performance at the venue took place on 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Air Canada Centre, Toronto
- 2009: Beatles fans mark 40 years of Abbey Road photoshoot
- 1969: Recording: The End, I Want You (She’s So Heavy), Oh! Darling
- 1969: The Abbey Road cover photography session
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Hey Jude, Not Guilty
- 1966: The South African Broadcasting Corporation bans The Beatles’ music
- 1966: US album release: Revolver
- 1966: US single release: Eleanor Rigby/Yellow Submarine
- 1963: Live: Candie Gardens, Guernsey
- 1962: Live: Co-op Ballroom, Doncaster
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.