The site they had originally intended to use in the grounds of the cathedral had to be moved after Canon Verney refused to allow the unmarried couple to bury anything in consecrated ground.
Furthermore, the original acorns were quickly stolen by Beatles fans, and replacements sent by Lennon and Ono were placed under 24-hour guard.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: Providence Performing Arts Center, Providence, Rhode Island
- 2009: Paul McCartney launches Meat Free Mondays campaign
- 1966: US album release: Yesterday… And Today
- 1965: Recording: It’s Only Love
- 1964: Live: Festival Hall, Melbourne
- 1963: Live: City Hall, Salisbury
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.