The Beatles gave their 105th lunchtime performance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club on this day. It was also the 29th occasion on which they performed both lunchtime and evening shows at the venue.
The group’s lunchtime shows typically lasted from 12-2pm. This was their 176th known performance overall at the soon-to-be-famous cellar venue on Mathew Street in Liverpool’s city centre, including evening appearances.
The precise number of The Beatles’ Cavern performances is not known, although they played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Last updated: 25 May 2015
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: Providence Performing Arts Center, Providence, Rhode Island
- 2009: Paul McCartney launches Meat Free Mondays campaign
- 1968: John and Yoko plant acorns for peace at Coventry Cathedral
- 1966: US album release: Yesterday… And Today
- 1965: Recording: It’s Only Love
- 1964: Live: Festival Hall, Melbourne
- 1963: Live: City Hall, Salisbury
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.