Studio Two (control room), EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Geoff Emerick
This was the second consecutive stereo mixing session for the Sgt Pepper album, and saw four songs completed.
It began with work on ‘Getting Better’, which was mixed in a single attempt. ‘She’s Leaving Home’ proved more problematic, and took six attempts before a satisfactory mix was achieved.
‘When I’m Sixty-Four’ was next, and was mixed in one attempt. The final song to be remixed was ‘Lovely Rita’. Two stereo mixes were made, the second of which was used on the Sgt Pepper album.
The final task of the session was an edit of ‘She’s Leaving Home’, after which the song was complete.
Last updated: 7 July 2022
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney live: Estadio Defensores del Chaco, Asunción, Paraguay
- 1970: UK album release: McCartney by Paul McCartney
- 1966: Recording: Doctor Robert
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Luton
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
Note how close Paul’s house in St. John’s Woods was to the studio.