This was The Beatles’ fifth of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at Estadio Defensores del Chaco, Asunción, Paraguay
- 1970: UK album release: McCartney by Paul McCartney
- 1967: Mixing: Getting Better, She’s Leaving Home, When I’m Sixty-Four, Lovely Rita
- 1966: Recording: Doctor Robert
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Luton
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.