During the flight McCartney worked on his initial ideas for the Magical Mystery Tour soundtrack and television special.
The Beatles had been largely out of the public eye in recent weeks, and there had been numerous reports that they were to split. At the airport McCartney denied this, saying: “The Beatles are definitely not splitting up. We have never even thought of splitting up. We want to go on recording together. The Beatles live!”
Also on this day...
- 1968: John Lennon and George Harrison leave Rishikesh
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: George Harrison and Brian Epstein fly to Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.