The couple rented a chalet in the mountains about half a mile from the town of Klosters. During their stay McCartney worked on musical ideas for The Beatles’ next album.
I can remember more about writing Revolver than about recording it. I was in Switzerland on my first skiing holiday. I’d done a bit of skiing in Help! and quite liked it, so I went back and ended up in a little bathroom in a Swiss chalet writing For No One. I remember the descending bass-line trick that it’s based on, and I remember the character in the song – the girl putting on her make-up.
The couple returned to England on 20 March 1966, after which McCartney moved into his house at 7 Cavendish Avenue, London.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Centro Comercial Bima Outlet Autopista Norte, Bogotá, Colombia
- 1970: Mixing: Sentimental Journey by Ringo Starr
- 1970: Recording: You Always Hurt The One You Love by Ringo Starr
- 1970: UK single release: Let It Be
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
- 1965: Filming: Help!, the Bahamas
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Radio: Here We Go
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Liverpool Jazz Society, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.