This day had initially been set aside as a rain check date for The Beatles' concert at Shea Stadium the previous day. Fortunately the weather remained good, allowing them a rest day in New York City.
The group spent the day in the Warwick Hotel, on 6th Avenue and 54th Street. They received visitors including Bob Dylan, The Supremes, The Ronettes, Del Shannon and The Exciters, and also gave a number of interviews to reporters and DJs.
Also on this day...
- 1968: Recording: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- 1966: Live: John F Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia
- 1965: John Lennon’s Mellotron is delivered to Weybridge
- 1964: Live: Opera House, Blackpool
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Llandudno
- 1962: Live: Riverpark Ballroom, Chester
- 1962: Pete Best is sacked from The Beatles
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Travel: Liverpool to Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.