This was The Beatles’ second appearance at Blackpool’s Opera House within a month. They had previously performed at the venue on 26 July 1964.
Also on the bill on this night were The High Numbers, who were shortly to rename themselves The Who, and The Kinks.
Last updated: 11 April 2010
Also on this day...
- 1968: Recording: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- 1966: Live: John F Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia
- 1965: John Lennon’s Mellotron is delivered to Weybridge
- 1965: Day off in New York
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Llandudno
- 1962: Live: Riverpark Ballroom, Chester
- 1962: Pete Best is fired from The Beatles
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Travel: Liverpool to Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
In a documentary about “Quadrophenia”, Pete Townshend commented that the lines in the song “5:15”:
“Girls of fifteen
The ushers are sniffing
were written about this concert, girls wetting themselves when the Beatles came on and the ushers spraying perfume to cover the smell of urine.
I was at the August 1964 Blackpool Opera House show and saw The Beatles (hardly heard them ‘cos of the screaming girls). On the same bill were The Kinks, (in their early trademark red Regency jackets) The High Numbers (later to be known as The Who) a girl singer Adrienne Posta (also appeared in films To Sr With Love & Up the Junction) but can’t recall any other artist or the show’s compere. Any ideas? Thanks.
The high Numbers