The Beatles performed two shows on this day at the Teatro Adriano in Piazza Cavour in Rome, and two more on the following day. It was the group's only visit to the Italian capital.
The concerts took place on each of the days at 4.30pm and 9.30pm. Originally just this day's performances had been booked, but the next day's were added later on. Despite this, none of The Beatles' four Rome shows was more than half full.
Throughout their European Tour in June and July 1965 The Beatles' set comprised 12 songs: Twist And Shout, She's A Woman, I'm A Loser, Can't Buy Me Love, Baby's In Black, I Wanna Be Your Man, A Hard Day's Night, Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby, Rock And Roll Music, I Feel Fine, Ticket To Ride and Long Tall Sally.
Parts of both this day's performances, recorded by members of the audience, have been circulated on bootlegs, although the quality is less than perfect. Here's the audio from the afternoon show:
After the second show Paul McCartney met playwright Noël Coward, who had attended the concert. The encounter took place at the Parco dei Principi hotel.
The noise was deafening throughout and I couldn't hear a word they sang or a note they played. I went backstage and was met by Brian Epstein, who told me they had gone back to the hotel and would I go there. I was told The Beatles refused to see me. I thought this graceless in the extreme, but decided to play it with firmness and dignity. I told Wendy [Hanson, Epstein's assistant] to go and fetch me one of them and she finally reappeared with Paul McCartney. The poor boy was quite amiable and I sent messages of congratulations to his colleagues, although the message I would have liked to have sent them was that they were bad-mannered little shits.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at DTE Energy Music Theatre, Clarkston, Michigan
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Ernst-Happel-Stadion, Vienna, Austria
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Hard Rock Calling, Hyde Park, London
- 1968: Recording: Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
- 1966: Travel: Hamburg, London, Alaska
- 1964: Live: Majestic Theatre, Christchurch, New Zealand
- 1963: Lennon and McCartney finish writing She Loves You
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.