The day after they began writing She Loves You in a Newcastle hotel room, John Lennon and Paul McCartney finished the song in the dining room of McCartney’s family home at 20 Forthlin Road, Liverpool.
We sat in there one evening, just beavering away while my dad was watching TV and smoking his Players cigarettes, and we wrote She Loves You. We actually just finished it there because we’d started it in the hotel room. We went into the living room – ‘Dad, listen to this. What do you think?’ So we played it to my dad and he said, ‘That’s very nice, son, but there’s enough of these Americanisms around. Couldn’t you sing, “She loves you. Yes! Yes! Yes!”‘ At which point we collapsed in a heap and said, ‘No, Dad, you don’t quite get it!’ That’s my classic story about my dad. For a working-class guy that was rather a middle-class thing to say, really. But he was like that.
Many Years From Now, Barry Miles
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at DTE Energy Music Theatre, Clarkston, Michigan
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Ernst-Happel-Stadion, Vienna, Austria
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Hard Rock Calling, Hyde Park, London
- 1968: Recording: Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
- 1966: Travel: Hamburg, London, Alaska
- 1965: Live: Teatro Adriano, Rome, Italy
- 1964: Live: Majestic Theatre, Christchurch, New Zealand
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.